Sunday, July 19, 2015

Where it all started.


The Furniture Institute of Massachusetts. Photo Credit Joshua Klein


The Furniture Institute of Massachusetts holds a special place in my heart.  This is where it all started for me. In the fall of 2002 I walked through the shop doors of the school as a punk kid and left years later a new person. As a student I wasn't anything special to say the least, and the journey since then has been ever challenging. The challenges in business can't really be explained for you need to live it to understand, but I never gave up and now I am living the dream. 

 Master & Director of the Furniture Institute of Massachusetts
Philip C. Lowe
Photo Credit Joshua Klein
Master Lowe as I like to call him is my hero! There isn't enough words to describe the man himself.  The knowledge and willingness to share his life with me is one I cherish daily. I studied under Phil for 2 years and was lucky enough to work for him another 2 years after completing the program. I still till this day work for him and the school as a subcontracted restorer, substitute teacher, and instructor.   


 
The Master & the apprentice. June 2015

Today the Furniture Institute of Massachusetts is one of the best schools the world has to offer.  The knowledge, methods, and techniques I learned as a student years ago still are what I depend on daily. If anyone is interested in learning more about the full time program or of the night, weekend, or summer workshops please visit http://furnituremakingclasses.com.   

Cheers,

FR

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging. I know you will be successful and contribute to the understanding of historic woodworking. We are all in this together. Keeping tradition alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil is the best! Great teacher, great craftsman, great person! Thank you Freddy for introducing us in person through SAPFM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil is the best! Great teacher, great craftsman, great person! Thank you Freddy for introducing us in person through SAPFM.

    ReplyDelete