Thursday, January 4, 2018

New Book! Crafting Excellence: The Furniture of Nathan Lumbard and His Circle

    I'm happy to share that another book on a great maker named Nathan Lombard is going to hit the market shortly. Pre-order your copy from Amazon ( < Click).


    When the inscription “Made by Nathan Lumbard Apl 20th 1800” was found in the late 1980s on a chest of drawers, the identity of an unknown craftsman suddenly surfaced. Crafting Excellenceintroduces the striking achievements of cabinetmaker Nathan Lumbard (1777−1847) and a small group of craftsmen associated with him. Working initially in the village of Sturbridge, Massachusetts, these artisans fashioned an array of objects that rank among the most colorful and creative of Federal America. Recent scholarship has revealed Lumbard’s connection with the cabinetmaker Oliver Wight, from whom he likely learned his trade and gained an understanding of neoclassicism. Careful study of objects linked to Lumbard, Wight, and nearby artisans has produced a framework for identifying their work. The discovery of Lumbard’s name three decades ago led the authors on a pioneering journey, culminating in this handsome volume, an insightful contribution to American furniture history.

Saturday, December 30, 2017

New Book: Thomas Chippendale Junior

Where I bought book can be found below.

Description of the book:

The Chippendale cabinet-making firm, founded by Thomas Chippendale senior in about 1750 became famous partly through the succesful publication of his The Gentleman and Cabinet-Maker's Director (1754, re-published 1755 and 1762), and partly through the fine furniture supplied to a number of illustrious clients. Chippendale senior ran the workshop for just over twenty years. His eldest son Thomas Chippendale junior continued the business for over forty, the first two decades in partnership with Thomas Haig. Chippendale senior's work has been well documents. Chippendale junior's work has never, until now, been thoroughly researched. The Life and Work of Thomas Chippendale Junior repairs the omission. His patrons included members of the Royal Family, aristocrats, landed gentry and antiquarians. He was adept at satisfying their demands, whether they required lavish gilt or simpler, often mahogany, pieces. Where family archives and original settings survive, as at Harewood House, Paxton House and Stourhead, they reveal the variety and quality of Chippendale's output. Analysis of client's invoices, even when the furniture can no longer be traced, for the first time provides a colourful view of what customers chose and what prices they paid.

Product Detail:

  • Hardcover: 464 pages
  • Publisher: Philip Wilson Publishers (December 30, 2017)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1781300569
  • ISBN-13: 978-1781300565
  • Product Dimensions: 9.4 x 1.7 x 11.3 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 5.8 pounds

Shop Signs

The importance of shop and lawn sign is rarely discussed. Even spelling out every service that is being offered is key these days. These signs are short money and I highly recommend every small business to use as much signage as possible.

Friday, December 29, 2017

English Clock

I had a clock come in to the shop or should I say studio. The clock came in for adhering of any and all loose cross banded moulding. There was also a couple sections of moulding that needed to be reproduced.  In this post I highlight the amazing clock. This clock was/is breathtaking. 

Friday, December 1, 2017

Pricing your work

Hello everyone. I wanted to share with you episode 11 of the Against the Grain Podcast. In this episode we discussed Pricing your work. I am certain the information being shared by Guy Dunlap, Justin Dipalma, and myself Freddy Roman will be very educational, informative, and eye opening.

If episode #11 wasn't enough to catch your attention than the following video surely would help. Shawn Van Dyke who is a business coach and who will be my business coach is the best in the business and surely worth a follow on Instagram Also it will be worth you wild to visit his website

Please leave your comments and give all of us a follow.


Monday, November 27, 2017

Flexible wood as clamps.

I'm in the middle of repairing a French Commode that has sadly been repaired incorrectly in the pass. One of the many issues with the commode was the drawer runners, kickers, and guides.  As I repair all the broken elements I come to the realization there isn't a easy way to clamp my repairs. 

So what to do?  Well I decided to try flexible thin pieces of wood cut to a size that gives me the desired clamp pressure. There isn't a write rule on this, often its a trial and error.  

Below you will find two examples of flexible strips giving me the desired pressure and clamping I needed to glue down all the repairs. 

I hope you find this helpful.


Sunday, November 26, 2017

Before and After Eastlake Chair

My apologizes for the lack of blog posts. I do have a good excuse I am moving into a larger shop. I will also have my first full time subcontractor, which is scary.  This is a brand new learning experience for me, but I am excited about this new journey.   With that said I am happy to say the new shop will be more successful than I ever imagined. Lets just say location, location, location.  

Below you will find the simple reason why I love old furniture. You can simply take the so called old fashion and turn into something more modern by simply changing the fabric. The Eastlake chair came into the studio for cleaning, gluing of all loose parts, and upholstery. The end result was very pleasing to the eye and is ready for years of use. But more importantly the client was very happy.