|Rough cut right off the bandsaw. Pinch dogs on the ends for alignment.|
|Bending Plywood was added to hold all the 4x4 pine together.|
|The bending forms are ready.|
Here is a great photo on how the splats are being held in the bending forms. I was able to get 6 splats per form. I had angled wedges from pass chair jobs and this assisted in the clamping. Always save your clamping blocks.
|Lets get this part done and over with.|
Next on deck were the spindles. I went ahead jointed one face & one edge on a 8/4 birch board. Then I set the bandsaw to the desired width and ripped all the spindles I needed. There are extras just incase of human error.
|Round spindles with square ends.|
I have different 3 spindle lengths so I made 3 jigs to hold the spindles. The spindle length needed to be spot on. I couldn't afford inconsistency. Instead of turning the spindles I am using a bullnose bit from Whiteside. Hands down the best router bits ever made. I flushed up the fence of the router table to the depth of the curve, set the desired height with consideration of the jig, and ran it. Always be aware of grain direction. I run one edge, unscrew, flip, tighten the screw, and run the other edge. Again these jigs are quick and dirty. There is nothing special here and it doesn't have to be. I will say flat plywood is crucial. The ends stay square to support the wood and prevent possible movement.
Next came the tenons. I will like to sing high praise to Lee Valley for their amazing innovate tooling. But if I start to sing my significant other will let me know not to quit my day job. I purchased a 5/8" power tenon cutter and I must say what a pleasure it was to use. I made quick work of the tenons. The fit was perfect and the power tenon cutter worked like a dream. Thank you Lee Valley!!!! I also hand scraped every spindle which was quick work, but made my hands were sore. I love a scraped surface.
|Time to turn the front legs and the rear posts.|
I am fortunate to have access to a great lathe that my friend Steve owns, and if things go right with the world I will be the future owner of this gem. I have an amazing Blount lathe but its not set up just yet. So I mounted each one of the legs on the lathe and went add it. It took me a long day to get the the turnings done.
With all the parts turned it was time to get the front assembly bored and glued. I made a v-block holder for the drill press. I again have to sing high praise to Lee Valley for their amazing brad point drill bits. I can't picture woodworking without them. By far the best cut around.
Once all the holes on the front legs were bored I was ready for glue up. Old Brown Glue is the preferred choice of glue for 85% of my work. This is literally square hole round peg scenario. I had these amazing holdfast made by John Switzer which will be used properly in the future Roubo/Klausz/Edwards bench. Stay tune for that.
|Boy my hands are getting big.|
The back posts needed their mortises to be cut. This is where hand and machine wins every time. I am sorry to say if I have more than 3 mortises to cut than I am using the mortiser. This isn't my favorite mortiser and I don't recommend it, but it does the job. Locations of the mortises are determined by the scribed marks. I made a scribe block half the thickness of the post and scribed a line with a pencil. This marks center, but I still needed to locate where exactly the mortise was going to be located. From center I measured over an 1/8"of an inch. I scribed that with a pencil. I prefer a knife to scribe, but for some odd ball reason this day the pencil was the choice. I set the mortiser for location and depth. Than mortised away.
|Killer French Vise and Clamps.|
Splats are ready to be fit. I cut the desired profile referencing a center line. I planed and scraped all the splats before cutting the profile. Once all the splats are fit, I glued them with... Old Brown Glue.
|Excuse the background|
Once the back post were glued it was time to bore for the side stretchers. The mortises needed to be angled and a ramp fixture assisted in the geometry necessary. For the front mortises the small end faced the drill press. For the back mortises the wide end face the drill press. Its very important to do a sample first.
Once all the holes were bored it was time to glue up these bad boys with... Old Brown Glue.
Excuse the background.
After the glue dried a little warm water to clean off any glue and it was time to paint. First came the brick red milk paint from General Finishes. Than the lamp black milk paint.
I was trying to get a certain look and age to the finish, but also match examples I have seen. This is the end result. After the milk paint layers I applied a little oil and shellac.
After the finish all that was left were to weave the chairs. I learned to weave the seats from a youtube video. Weaving is a lot of fun and hard on the hands. I was surprised how easy it was to do. Today the chairs are in the Windsor Historical and they will live in their collection long after I pass. The museum is great for they allow the patrons to interact with the furniture just as they would in the period. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed the process. If you have any questions please post them in the comments section.