Saturday, January 23, 2016

The broken element on a turned leg.

Recently I received an English table made with two drawers and legs that had a repeated bead turning. Unfortunately the table was once repaired with a bolt was driven from the inside of the table.  Sadly all the bolt did was weaken the leg and cause damage.



A flat was made to receive a new piece of mahogany. I barrier coated the leg with hide glue and fit a piece in the notch. The adhesive used for this glue up was West System Epoxy. After the epoxy dried I played out the diameter of the turning and sawed close to the line.  

Filed the new block round to the line. I than filed in the cove to match. The tool of choice was a round tapered file.  

I scribed all the elements of the turning. This ensured a place for my chisels and files to reference.


Once the elements were scribed I than chiseled a way some of the wood. While beware of the reveal. 

Once I felt I had enough material removed I used a file to give me the reveal I wanted.
Using a file also gave me more control. 


This is the constant view of the shape. I often check to make sure I am screwing something up. 

The top bead of the turning needed rounding. As I was thought as a student, chamfer first and than chamfer the chamfers. Soon it has to be round.  

I than took a #6 gouge to give me the exact curve I needed. Beware of grain direction is crucial at this point. 

The end result.


All that is left is a little sanding, dying, inpainting, and top coat. After that I will install a square peg to the end of the leg. Once the glue has dried I will install it back on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment