Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Clamp storage



As many already know I am addicted to buying quality clamps. Every time I tell myself I am done purchasing clamps I find another one I must have.  For the past two weeks I have been searching and asking my fellow woodworkers for clamp storage ideas. Sadly there really isn't many options than the common few. I can hang the clamps on the wall taking valuable wall space. I can store them in a drum and pinch myself or whack myself wrestling clamps out from the drum.  Or I can make a clamp tree/rack on casters.

One of the issues people have with clamp trees is the difficulty to move the rack once its loaded to the max. Yet this common issue everyone complains about can easily be resolved. Its quite obvious to me  if a is made to hold every clamp you own than of course it will difficult to move. I also didn't want to get a hernia trying to move the rack. So I decided to make a 2 foot wide clamp rack.  I simply used 2x4's, angle iron (bed rails), and 3 inch casters.  I screwed the whole thing together. There wasn't any plans, but I did have one look at for inspiration. I was surprised how much fun it was to make and how easy it moves full of clamps.    

Now the only issue I have is that I need like four more racks. I will also need to find other options for those 6, 7, and 8 foot clamps that are rarely used. 





No comments:

Post a Comment